Sunday, August 26, 2012

Rural Arkansas

A good bit of my extended family lives just outside of Little Rock, Arkansas. My Dad and I just got back from the annual Mitchell Family Reunion. I had never met any of my Arkansan family, nor had I ever been to the Deep South.

I actually like it. The people were nice. Little Rock itself was quaint, but a bit sleepy. My family was very welcoming. And no one called me "boy" even once. (Us Northerners always assume that overt racism is still lurking behind every corner in the South.)

While my Dad usually stays on one of the family farms when he is in town, I opted for the Comfort Inn Downtown, and my Dad wisely chose to join me. Since we had a little freedom from the family, we also got a chance to check out the Clinton Presidential Library and also ventured about an hour outside of Little Rock to spend the day in the town of Hot Springs.

Below are a few photos of my adventure. The first set of photos were taken at and around the family farm where most of the reunion festivites took place. The second set were taken in one of the original bathhouses in Hot Springs that was preserved as a museum by the National Park Service, which felt more like an old school insane asylum than a place for relaxation.

Family Farm











No comments:

Post a Comment